Monday, April 5, 2010

What instrument(s) should my child learn?

This is another common question parents ask me often. Although the most popular instruments children seem to start learning nowadays are piano and violin, there are many other instruments that are fun and wonderful to learn as well. And, keep in mind, "voice" is also an instrument!

Every instrument trains different parts of our body and brain. All of them, except for voice, focuses on hand-coordination in various ways.

With so much differences between the instruments, to ask "what instrument is best for my child" would be the same as asking "what fruit is the best for my child?"

There is no "right" or "wrong" instrument for anyone. Thus, if money isn't a concern (and many music stores offer monthly rentals for instruments, even pianos!), I'd recommend parents to let their child choose the instrument(s) themselves.

Bring them to concerts and let them see, hear and choose which instrument(s) they like.

If they like more than one instrument, let them try all of them! And after learning one or two instruments, I can guarantee you that your child will know exactly what instrument(s) she wishes to learn. (Please give at least 6 months of learning-period per instrument though. And if possible, try starting the lesson for the second instrument when your child has already had lessons for the first instrument for 3 months.)

What instruments have I learned, you asked? Piano, cello and flute! (I was very fortunate^_^)

No comments:

Post a Comment